Border Crossings Special Issue “Remembering Robert Frank”
Border Crossings has just published a Special Issue on Photography featuring a lengthy section in tribute to Robert Frank.
It would not be possible to suitably reflect Robert Frank’s significant role in contemporary photography: he caused us to look and look again—closely. So we have looked closely. Our tribute to this legendary photographer is rooted in the personal, taking the form of a memoir by Paul Roth who is the Director of the Ryerson Image Centre in Toronto; an essay on a long-standing friendship by Border Crossings’ Editor Meeka Walsh and a portfolio of letters sent by Robert Frank to a friend, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan—the writer Chester Pelkey and introduced by Border Crossings’ Senior Contributing Editor, Robert Enright. All the remembrances are accompanied by Robert Frank’s images.
The issue also includes two fine interviews—one with the young Vancouver-based Inuk filmmaker, Lindsay McIntyre, and the other with award-winning Montreal photographer Benoit Aquin.
For all of us, fascinated by the world going on without us—that is, in our absence—a magical portfolio by Quebec photographer Éliane Excoffier revealing the nightlife of forest animals.
There is a rich presentation of articles, all photo-based: noted critic and curator Peggy Gale on the unique work of George Steeves, Daniel Baird on the complicated issues of photography’s truthfullness, Anna Kovler’s piece, with its highly descriptive title “Into Another Skin: Women and Self-Portraiture” and James Campbell engaging the spectral gravity of objects.
The review section, Crossovers, is filled with topics addressing photography and more. Here are some: Liz Magor, Brendan Fernandes, Vikky Alexander, Brian Jungen, Jagdeep Raina, Karen Asher… And we open this issue with the work of two young artists: Luther Konadu and his photographs and painter Alex Bierk and his intimate transcription of photographs to paint.
Always, there is more…
Cover: Robert Frank, good days Quiet, 2019, © Robert Frank, image and text. © Steidl Publishers for this edition. Photography courtesy Pace/ MacGill Gallery, New York.Buy Now
Table of Contents
- Dreaming Robert Frank, Dreaming Walter Benjamin
- Objective Portraiture
- Recovery Artist
- Words About Pictures ‘Aperture Conversations: 1985 to the Present’ Edited by Melissa Harris and Michael Famighetti
- The Hand Made’s Tale An Interview with Lindsay McIntyre
- Luminous Being An Interview with Benoit Aquin
- Swimming Upstream Robert Frank, 1924–2019
- Fragments of the Autobiographical A Friendship with Robert Frank
- Conflicted Photography
- Into Another Skin
- George Steeves: Be Warned
- The Spectral Gravity of Objects Thoughts on Photographs and the Artifactual
- Keep Giving Signs Robert Frank’s Letters to Chester Pelkey
- Image Hunter The Night Photographs of Éliane Excoffier
- Karen Asher
- Liz Magor
- Bonavista Biennale
- “ᐊᕙᑖᓂᑦ ᑕᒪᐃᓐᓂᑦ ᓄᓇᑐᐃᓐᓇᓂᑦ // among all these tundras”
- Brian Jungen
- Brendan Fernandes
- Dave Heath
- Francis Alÿs
- William Kentridge
- Jagdeep Raina
- Vikky Alexander
- “Szilasi & Szilasi”
- “People Among the People: The Public Art of Susan Point”