Border Crossings publishes its largest issue ever. It is a Special Issue on Art and Architecture and the intersection that rides between the two disciplines. For this topic Border Crossings Editor Meeka Walsh collaborated with two Consulting Editors: Eduardo Aquino and Neil Minuk.
The issue focuses on the idea of Influence and here we looked at three key international figures: Paulo Mendes da Rocha who just won the Lion d’Or at the Venice Architecture Exhibition; Phyllis Lambert, founder of the Canadian Centre for Architecture in Montréal, who was awarded the Lion d’Or in 2014; and Alvin Boyarsky, the Canadian architect who was the legendary Director of the AA in London, UK.
The issue contains a pride of architects and designers and theorists from around the world: Peter Cook, Nat Chard, Indra Kagis McEwen, Pierre Bélanger, Adrian Blackwell, Adele Weder, Peter Sealy, John Shnier and many others.
Art meets architecture in the work of Carlos Bunga; Christian Giroux and Daniel Young; Monika Sosnowska, Przemek Pyszczek; Natalija Subotincic; Carlos Rueda; Anne Cormier; and in the rhapsodic photographs of Geoffrey James who turned his lens to the architecture of Jože Plečnik.
We look at the loftiest but often unrealized dream projects of three architectural practices: Kohn Shnier, Toronto, Atelier Big City, Montréal and marc boutin architectural collaborative inc., Calgary.
We asked 10 architects from architecture schools across Canada to list their Perfect Seven favourites: books, art, films and houses.
The issue considers the uses to which architects turn their attention—from the social architecture of Gregory Henriquez in Vancouver to the gross misuses in the application of architecture in the design and construction of gas chambers.
The issue includes Artist Pages by Montréal artist and architect Jacques Bilodeau and our usual broad range of reviews includes Sky Glabush, the biography of Agnes Martin, Álvaro Siza, Adam McEwen, Gathie Falk, Takashi Iwasaki and many others.Buy Now
Table of Contents
- House of Illusion
- Forensic Architecture
- The Art Centre That Came Down From the Cold
- Vinyl Parfait
- Museoddity Francofonia: An Elegy for Europe, directed by Alexander Sokurov
- The Continuous Contradiction: Making and Unmaking in the Art of Carlos Bunga
- What’s at Stake? The Canadian Presence at the 2016 International Architecture Exhibition An Interview with Pierre Bélanger
- Collaborative Aspirations An Interview with Christian Giroux and Daniel Young
- On Running Into History, And How to Avoid a Bloody Nose Work by Monika Sosnowska and Przemek Pyszczek
- How to Turn a Foreclosure Crisis Into a Domestic Revolution
- In Search of a Paradigm: The Social Role of Architecture
- Reservoirs of Memory The Museum of Innocence in Istanbul, Turkey
Figures of Influence
- Figures of Influence Place Maker: The Art of Paulo Mendes da Rocha
- Figures of Influence Being Architecture: The Passion of Phyllis Lambert
- Figures of Influence Creating A Scene: Alvin Boyarsky and the Architectural Association
Second Places Unrealized Dreams
- Second Places Unrealized Dreams Sometimes I Dream of Bats: Kitchener City Hall Competition Entry 1989
- Second Places Unrealized Dreams The Roadshow and Its Landscapes: From the Determinant to the Offering of Possibilities
- Second Places Unrealized Dreams Bright Lights Big City: Rio Tinto Planetarium Competition, 2008
- Perfect Seven
- Jacques Bilodeau
- Good to Think: The Architecture of Jože Plečnik
- Looking at Jože Plečnik Photographs by Geoffrey James
- Sky Glabush
- “things you can’t unthink”
- “1920s Modernism in Montreal: The Beaver Hall Group”
- Takashi Iwasaki
- Gathie Falk
- “enendaman | anminigook”
- Qavavau Manumie
- Ted Barker
- Jason Deary
- Patrick Mahon
- Jason McLean
- Nat Chard and Perry Kulper
- Adam McEwen
- Álvaro Siza
- Agnes Martin: Her Life and Art by Nancy Princenthal